Note: The process pictures are of different pieces, as I tend to work on more than one piece at a time… this is probably really confusing, so I apologize in advance!
1. Research. This involves a lot of googling and filtering in order to find good reference pictures for poses, clothing, colors and patterns.
2. Rough sketch
3. Tracing onto nicer paper. Because I’m too cheap to own a light box, this step is done during the day, against a window.
3. Inking (the best step!), with a little brush and sumi ink.
4. Add a background (the most difficult step for me)
5. Scanning, then “coloring” with Photoshop.
6. Selective blurring for the internet.
7. Then, printing, matting, framing, etc. 🙂