RAWartists are holding their annual artists competition, with finalists in all categories (visual art, fashion, photography, performance, etc.) Everyone who has worked with rawartists is in the competition, so, that means me!
If you feel like it, I’d be super grateful if go to the site and vote for me – it takes just a minute, and in the [extremely] off chance that I get into finals, there’s the possibility of art space show placement, art supply gift cards, consultations and write-ups. I’d be incredulous! And I’d have you to thank!
It’s been brought to my attention recently that, though I’ve done quite a few tea-themed drawings, I still hadn’t made anything devoted to coffee (my true love, but don’t tell the tea!). So, here she is (thanks, Nichol!)!!
I know, I know – anyone who owns a percolator knows that it is impossible to bathe in it, if only because of the pesky spout that lets water travel from the bottom to the top and makes it possible for coffee-creation to occur. Sadly. But by the magic of drawing, there! It’s happening! Coffee bath in a percolator!
I prefer the french press, but putting a girl in there sounded pretty sadistic, not to mention claustrophobic.
Also, I have a new printer!! After much procrastination and nailbiting, I decided on an Epson, for its ultrachromatic inks and large format. I can now print up to 13″ wide and virtually unlimitedly long (have to buy a roll of paper for something like that, though). Yay! 11×14″ prints will soon become standard in my shop, where you can pick up little coffee girl now!
Anywho. It’s time to make dinner – a hot pot, I think, full of meat and mushrooms and whatever veggies are hiding in the bottom of the fridge. Then I believe it’ll be time for another pot of coffee and a Borderlands 2 marathon. Hmmmm. Yes.
This morning’s project, something I’ve been wanting to do for a long time: cover some towels with houseflies!! I ordered a pack of 12 flour sack cotton tea towels, and they arrived in the mail yesterday, so – I had to start today! Houseflies first… now I need to do some brainstorming to decide what should be printed next!
Step one: Draw design on rubber.
Step two: carve away everything but your design.
Step three: start printing! I used silkscreen ink (Speedball) and a little foam roller (you can find them at hardware supply stores), then used a hard rubber brayer to press the stamp down on the fabric. I believe you can also use acrylic – at least, when I get it on my clothes it seems to stay fine no matter how many times it’s washed.
Step four: let dry, then iron to set the ink.
Yay! Now all insects that happen to get inside will seem teeny in comparison!